Monday, September 7, 2015

ABC'S OF READING & 'RITING: LETTER L



Gueydan Branch Library


For as long as I can remember I have had a love affair with libraries. From the comforting smell of dusty, aging books to the shiny crispness of new additions to the inventory, I worship and revere the written word found within the walls of my local library. When I was a child, the librarian at my hometown library knew me well and could count on my weekly visit as surely as the sun rising every morning. My thirst for knowledge quickly outweighed the limits of books generally suited for my age and the librarian graciously allowed me to select any of the books my hometown library carried. Imagine my delight in unlimited access to any book I wanted. Every summer I read more than one hundred books and even began my writing career at age eleven when I won an essay contest ran by that library and received a book as a grand prize. I still have that book to this day and it holds a special place on the shelf of my living room bookcase.

It's pretty obvious why libraries would hold such a special place of honor for both readers and writers. For the writer, there is everything from research avenues to the assistance offered by the dedicated people manning the reference desk. A place to snuggle into a comfortable chair and lay words to paper or computer to hopefully inspire the next generation of library visitors. For the readers, it's a chance to travel to another time and dimension. To ride a roller coaster of emotion while holding tight to the belief that everything will turn out for the best by the time the last page is turned. 

If I sound like libraries are some sort of sanctuary, it's because to me they are. I took my first step to becoming a future author while in a library and now, I plan how to further that career every time I step into that hallowed hall of books. My own picture book, THE STORY CATCHER, now graces the shelves of my local library...waiting to hopefully inspire some new reader stepping into that building as they begin their own grand adventure with books.  

Here are a few libraries around the world that are on my own literary bucket list to visit one day...


 Strahov Monastery Library, Prague
Prague -- Strahov Monastery Library (Pinterest)


Beach Library Albena Resort, Bulgaria 
 Bulgaria -- Beach Library Albena Resort (Pinterest)


 
Paris, France -- France National Library (Pinterest)


Wiblingen Abbey in Ulm, Germany (via www.webodysseum.com). - See more at: http://visitheworld.tumblr.com/post/35975304544/the-beautiful-library-of-wiblingen-abbey-in-ulm#sthash.x3iORZ12.dpuf
Wiblingen Abbey in Ulm, Germany (via www.webodysseum.com). - See more at: http://visitheworld.tumblr.com/post/35975304544/the-beautiful-library-of-wiblingen-abbey-in-ulm#sthash.x3iORZ12.dpuf
 
Wiblingen Abbey in Ulm, Germany (via www.webodysseum.com). - See more at: http://visitheworld.tumblr.com/post/35975304544/the-beautiful-library-of-wiblingen-abbey-in-ulm#sthash.x3iORZ12.dpuf
The beautiful library of Wiblingen Abbey in Ulm, Germany - See more at: http://visitheworld.tumblr.com/post/35975304544/the-beautiful-library-of-wiblingen-abbey-in-ulm#sthash.X1EKRWcO.dpuf
Ulm, Germany -- Wiblingin Abbey Library (Pinterest)


35-University-of-California-San-Diego-Geisel-Library-San Diego-California-USA 
San Diego, California --  Univ of Ca San Diego Geisel Library (Pinterest)


33-Library-of-Parliament-Ottawa-Canada 
Ottawa, Canada -- Library of Parliment (Pinterest)


30-Bodleian-Library-Oxford-U-K 
Oxford, UK -- Bodleian Library (Pinterest)


Is there a library on YOUR bucket list? Tell us in the comments below...






Blurb: Addie comes from a long line of readers or "story catchers" as her family likes to call themselves. Every time Addie tries to catch a story on her own the wiggly words play tricks on her. She tries different ways to make those words sit still but it will take a little faith for Addie to become the next STORY CATCHER.

Buy Links:
Amazon Kindle ¦ Paperback ¦ B&N ¦ Smashwords
JOIN THE STORY CATCHER FAN CLUB!Membership includes:

Membership Certificate
Bi-montly Newsletter full of mazes, puzzles, games, news, and other goodies
Reading Log for earning STORY CATCHER AWARD
 
 


 

Wiblingen Abbey in Ulm, Germany (via www.webodysseum.com). - See more at: http://visitheworld.tumblr.com/post/35975304544/the-beautiful-library-of-wiblingen-abbey-in-ulm#sthash.x3iORZ12.dpuf

2 comments:

  1. Yes: I want to go to The New York Public Library and have my picture taken with the famous lion. There is a children's book about that lion I use to read to my students. Link: http://www.nypl.org/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anne! What a great idea! There are sooo many libraries I want to visit but I just posted a few of them here...;~)

    Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

    ReplyDelete