I used to think I was stranded on this writer island alone. I didn't even have Gilligan, Mary Ann, or the Professor to keep me company. Just me and my little ol' computer meandering our way through manuscripts and rewrites while we wait to be rescued from the solitary writer's life.
Then came...THE BLOG! What I thought would be a little endeavor on my way to building an "author platform" has now become an award winning event! I honestly don't know why all writers don't have a blog. After all, it IS what we do...we write...and for me Blogland is the perfect place for me to allow my creativity to run wild. I'm not restricted to any particular art form and I get the chance to let really cool pictures inspire me to write.
There are a few websites and blogs out there that actually TALK about blogging, but for the most part I had to learn as I go along. My blog had only been up and running for a couple of months but I quickly got into the rhythm of my blogging voice and my followers seem to enjoy my posts. But this past week has been amazing for me!
First it was the Versatile Blogger Award. Now it's the Liebster Blog Award. I received THREE of these little babies from my new writer friends Cheryl Wilson Velasquez (http://www.cherylvelasquez.blogspot.com ), Louise Nottingham (http://www.louisesblogtoday.blogspot.com ), and Marcie Colleen (http://www.writeroutine.blogspot.com ). I am touched by these ladies' generosity of spirit for awarding me this prize!
Acceptance of the Liebster Blog Award demands that I reveal 5 things about myself so here goes:
1. I was told almost 11 years ago I would be in a wheelchair shortly due to an inoperable degenerative disc that was crumbling quickly. I was also told to quit training in TaeKwonDo because it would be detrimental to my health and quicken my immobility. I didn't buy in to either prediction and today I am a 4th Degree Black Belt in TKD and still kicking.
2. When I was younger, I could wrap my right leg around my left leg...twice. Don't ask me how I could do it...it's one of the mysteries of life. Needless to say, I can't do it now to save my soul.
3. Despite running a martial arts facility where I am in front of crowds for more than 25 classes each week...not to mention judging testings and tournaments...I am an EXTREME INTROVERT and really dislike the spotlight...
4. My first published piece of work was a poem in a vanity press publication because I was young and didn't know any better. Ahhh, we all live and learn.
5. When I was in my 20's I saw the Rocky Horror Picture Show for the first time. Then I saw it again...every weekend...for the next 52 weeks...for the audience participation as much as for the movie itself.
Now it's my turn to hand the torch to other deserving bloggers out there. Even though these blog sites might not have a lot of followers...yet, they are mighty in their messages and worth checking out!
1. Russ Cox (http://www.smilingotis.blogspot.com)
2. Dottie Enderle (http://www.dottienderle.blogspot.com )
3. Erik (http://www.thiskidreviewsbooks.com)
4. Stephen Hayes (http://www.thechubbychatterbox.blogspot.com )
5. Brenda Harris (http://www.drawacircle.net )
Congrats to all these winners. Why not take a moment and check out their blogs?
Well, I don't need to search for Gilligan and the crew any more. I'm no longer alone on my writer island. There is a world of wonderful new writer friends for me to meet. And what about all those awards waiting out there for us to win? For myself, I'm pretty sure the Oscar committee will be calling me next and I have to figure out what am I going to wear!