When writers think of awards, we probably think of ones like the Pulitzer, Newbery, or Caldecott awards. The cream of the crop awards that is not unlike winning an Oscar. A visual indication that we must be doing something right in our writing and here is our sign.
But not everyone will win those awards. Frankly my writing isn't anywhere near that caliber...yet. While I strive for that level of excellence, realistically I'm just not there. So what do beginner writers have to look forward to?
As a "newbie" to the professional writing world, I began learning about this little thing called "platform". Back in the 80's it would have meant those tall, wedge heeled shoes I used to wear in high school and quite frequently fell off of! But today, one of the things it refers to is becoming a blogger. And in the blogging world there are apparently many awards even new writers can receive.
After creating my own blog back in December and diligently attending to its needs every day, I was pleasantly surprised one day to receive the Versatile Blogger award. This award is given to me by Lynn A Davidson ((http://www.lynnadavidson.wordpress.com) as a sort of pat on the back for having, in their opinion, an entertaining blog. I now have the privilege of paying it forward. But first I have to say 7 random things about myself:
1. I'm part Cajun and part Cherokee and a lot of other parts I don't have time to talk about right now.
2. I can imitate Yoda from Star Wars.
3. At one time I had a pet rabbit, quail, pigeon, dogs, cats, turtle, hamster, fish and probably some other animals when I was growing up.
4. I just KNEW I was going to be a veterinarian when I got older.
5. I ran away from home when I was about 11 to go play with horses at a stable outside of town.
6. I've been writing since I was about 8 years old and one of my first poems was called "A Man Like Dan". Don't ask me where I got the title...I was only 8, all right?
7. I dream of seeing one of my books on a store shelf one day. But then again, don't we all?
I'm supposed to hand out the Versatile Blogger Award to 15 other bloggers but right now I only have time for six and I hope the blogging gods will forgive me. Drum roll please...
1. Susanna Leonard Hill (http://www.susannahill.blogspot.com)
2. Tara Lazar (http://www.taralazar.wordpress.com)
3. Kathy Temean (http://www.kathytemean.wordpress.com)
4. Kristen Lamb (http://www.wariorwriters.wordpress.com)
5. Laura Barnes (http://www.laurabwriter.blogspot.com)
6. Joanna Penn (http://www.thecreativepenn.com)
These six ladies inspire me every day to continue to grow as a writer. They each have a wonderful blogging style and it's a highlight of my very busy day to take the time and read their posts.
We all need a pat on the back every once in awhile. Especially writers. We tend to work alone and are held captive by our computers as we strive to create a little magic. While awards like the Versatile Blogger Award won't put any money in the bank or take up any room on the trophy shelf, it's still nice to know our effort does not go unseen. And for that I'm sure we would all gladly receive this wonderful award!