Monday, June 12, 2017

COVERING ALL THE BASES

 
 
 
To all my current and future #DCSPeeps (DECIDE, COMMIT, SUCCEED), welcome to my new series in my continuing effort to inspire, amuse, and entertain you! Each Monday I will select a new word to analyze how it might apply to our writing lives and also give you a peek into my childhood growing up in the swamps of southern Louisiana, so kick back, put your feet up, and check out my story about TODAY'S WORD:
 
BASES
 
I wouldn't consider myself the world's best athlete growing up. I was incredibly shy and self-conscious about my appearance, so when I was forced to pick a sport to "master" during high school as part of my PE grade, I decided on soft ball. 
 
I didn't have the jump to play basketball, my sister cornered the gymnastics arena, and my brother was the boss of the football field. Surprisingly enough, I found that I was fairly adept at my chosen sport and ended up playing both short-stop or second BASE. I wasn't superstar material by any means, but I always managed to cover the BASES any time I stepped out on the playing field. Whether catching fly balls, stopping grounders, or even taking my turn at bat, I focused on multi tasking to get the job done.
 
Juggling an active writing career is very similar to covering second BASE. There are even times when juggling things like revisions, queries, contests, research, and other writing commitments cut into actual writing time and we find ourselves wondering how we are going to be able to cover all our writerly BASES. 
 
I don't have all the answers, but as I go into this busy, busy summer season, I plan on keeping a few things in mind:
 
1. MAKE A WRITING PLAN & FOLLOW IT DAILY
 
I might only get to write for 15 minutes some days but I will focus all my energy during those 15 minutes on my latest project.

2. DO MY RESEARCH & NARROW MY AGENT LIST
 
Some of my queries need to be followed up on while other submissions need to be sent out.
 
3. TAKE A MENTAL HEALTH DAY OCCASIONALLY
 
It's hard for me sometimes to take time just for me but past experience has shown me I need ME time in order to be able to put my best effort into my writing.
 
Before you know it, summer will be gone and the kids will be back in school. The sounds of the crowd and the smell of popcorn will fade from the BASEball field, but at least I will have something to show for covering all my writerly BASES.
 
What about you? How do you plan to manage your busy summer and still get your writing in?
 
 




Children's book author, Donna L Martin, has been writing since she was eight years old. She is a 4th Degree Black Belt in TaeKwonDo by day and a 'ninja' writer of children’s picture books, chapter books and young adult novels by night. Donna is a BOOK NOOK REVIEWS host providing the latest book reviews on all genres of children’s books. She is also a book reviewer for Harper Collins, and a member of the Society of Children's Book Writers & Illustrators. Donna is a lover of dark chocolate, good stories, and an adoptive mom to 20-pound guard kitty in Knoxville, Tennesse

     



5 comments:

  1. Maybe it was all those years we played imaginary baseball that prepared you for high school sports.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And maybe, it was just because I stunk at all other sports...lol...

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  2. How will I manage my summer? What a question. I can only attempt to control each day and stay focus. I plan today without overthinking yesterday and tomorrow. I am thankful if one or two goals at the end of the day is accomplished. I learned if I want peace, I must live one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a healthy way to look at things. Good for you!

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete