Monday, January 18, 2016

THE FIVE THINGS I LEARNED ON THE WAY TO PUBLISHING



http://paradigmstaffing.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/pmo-lessons-learned.jpg



My debut picture book, THE STORY CATCHER, will celebrate it's one year book anniversary on Wednesday and I have learned a lot along the way to becoming a published author. I find it hard to think of another industry than kidlit publishing with such a high percentage of passionately hopefuls. While it took me over three years of diligently working on improving my writing before I received my book offer, there are five other things I learned during this past year:

1. YOU'RE BETTER THAN YOU THINK YOU ARE

Writers starting out in their careers are like beginner ice skaters. They wobble as they learn to get their feet under them and with the right amount of practice they are soon steady on their path to becoming a stronger writer. With the right amount of training and perseverance there may even be a chance they can become a star! Writers tend to be self-doubters but we really can become better than we think...

2. LEAVE YOUR EGO AT THE DOOR

Sometimes newbie writers search to publish a story only their children or other family members have heard. Sometimes they think they must be the next great (insert mega famous author here) just because they managed to complete their debut novel of a mere 250,000 words. I learned early in my martial arts training that there is ALWAYS someone better than you and that goes for writers as well. There is ALWAYS something more to learn, more writerly wisdom to be learned by someone further along the publishing path than we are...

3. LEARN HOW TO BE A GOOD FRIEND

The actual act of writing can be a solitary endeavor but your writing career doesn't have to be. Everybody has to start somewhere in the kidlit world and there is a huge community of passionate, friendly people eager to lend a hang and help whenever needed to those on the same journey. No matter how celebrated some writers become, they always find a way to pay it forward and never forget to have good writing friends being one...

4. INVEST IN GOOD HIKING SHOES

Newer writers tend to look at the path to publication as a race and grab the first pair of running shoes handy. What they don't realize is the journey to becoming an author is actually more like a hike through a steep mountain range with highs and lows all along the way. Slow and steady will get a good writer to their destiny. That and a pair of good hiking shoes...

5. REMEMBER THE BLESSINGS NO MATTER HOW SMALL

As writers, it's easy to get caught up in things like writer's block, tough revisions that make us doubt our skills, and a stack of rejection letters for every story we're brave enough to send out into the world. That's why this month I created a blessings box where every day I try to write down at least one thing I'm grateful for. It could be a special friend who reminds me I deserve to be called an author whenever I doubt myself. Maybe it's a small contest I entered and was chosen as one of the winners. Whatever it may be, I write them down and save them for those low moments when I need a pick me up. 

Not everything we learn as writers has strictly to do with the actual craft of writing. Sometimes the lessons learned simply make our writerly lives easier on our way to becoming published authors and that's okay by me!


My blessings  box...;~)



12 comments:

  1. So true. The beginner wants it quickly without learning the right paths to take. In my different writers groups I have started; the first thing people ask how do I find a agent or publisher. Many have never attended a conference, workshop or read a book on how to write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is always ways to learn how to become a stronger writer. I've been writing for 40 years, professionally going on 6 years now, but do not have the disposable income to attend conferences or workshops. This does not stop my pursuit of improving my writing skills. It just means I have to work harder to make the most of what opportunities I CAN take advantage of...;~)

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  2. Happy 1st Birthday! Thanks for celebrating with this post! Got my hiking shoes on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chana and welcome to my blog! I'm not much of a runner but I DO love a good hike...;~)

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  3. Happy 1st Anniversary, Donna. I like your blessing box idea. We all need to remember to be thankful for the small achievements and not dwell on the disappointments. Blessings to you. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy! I actually got the idea of a blessings box from Julie Hedlund when I participated in her 12 Days Challenge earlier this month. I'm going to add a picture of it to this post so everyone can see how bright and cheerful it is! ;~)

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  4. I love the idea of a blessing box that focuses on our writing in some way. I may just implement that idea. Thanks so much. And all the best with your writing and publishing endeavours in 2016.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steph! Thank you for your kind words. I just added a picture of my blessings box to this post...maybe it will give someone else an idea of how to create their own...;~)

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  5. Love the advice- especially # 4, good hiking shoes are a must! Thanks for the post! Congrats on the 1 year anniversary of a wonderful book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy and welcome to my blog! I'm glad you enjoyed the post and I agree...good hiking shoes IS a must if you want to survive in this industry...;~)

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  6. Hi Donna, Congrats on the one year anniversary of your book. It's inspiring to know that it took you years to get published as I've been "hiking" for some time and still not published. I will keep my hiking gear in shape and be sure to keep my boots on and count my blessings. I think you and I were both in Suzanne Lieurance's club and had write our accomplishments out and celebrate the slightest item just to realize we did accomplish something. Good blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marlene and welcome to my blog! Don't you just love Suzanne? She provides so much writerly wisdom!

      What genre do you write in? I have found that the people who are willing to "show up" every day and do the work necessary to improve their storytelling skills will eventually reap the rewards of their efforts. I wish you luck, Marlene, that 2016 is your lucky year!

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete