Wednesday, January 20, 2016

BOOK NOOK REVIEWS: Elise Parsley







Title: If You Ever Want To Bring An Alligator To School, DON'T!
Author/Illustrator: Elise Parsley
Publisher: Hachette Book Group Inc
Ages: 4-8



Synopsis:

An alligator for show-and-tell sounds like tons of fun. What could possibly go wrong?


Magnolia is a one-of-a-kind girl who wants to share something at show-and-tell that really stands out from the crowd. But what if her teacher is right? What if alligators really are nothing but trouble?

 

Why you should read it: 


What a fun concept and such beautiful digital artwork! Every child (and their parents) can relate to the age old question of what to bring to show-and-tell. But how many people can say they brought a chomping, romping, stomping alligator to school?
Author/Illustrator Elise Parsley infuses humor and originality into a potentially hum drum topic and the result is a whimsical adventure into the world of young elementary children during what should have been a typical school day. While I was quite entertained by the storyline and liked how Magnolia solved her 'gator problem, it was the illustrations that I kept returning to.
Stunning colors and vivid detail kept calling me back and once I read the story, I returned for a much longer study of this illustrator's ability to draw me into Magnolia's world with her engaging drawings. Definitely a winner in my book and a great addition to any home library!


Like-o-meter Rating scale**: 5 out of 5...grab it!


**Rating scale**


 5 out of 5...grab it!

 4 out of 5...think about it.

 3 out of 5...take it or leave it.
 2 out of 5...maybe not for you.

 1 out of 5...forget about it!
 
 
 







Blurb: Addie comes from a long line of readers or "story catchers" as her family likes to call themselves. Every time Addie tries to catch a story on her own the wiggly words play tricks on her. She tries different ways to make those words sit still but it will take a little faith for Addie to become the next STORY CATCHER.



Buy Links:Amazon Kindle ¦ Paperback ¦ B&N ¦ Smashwords



JOIN THE STORY CATCHER FAN CLUB!Membership includes:
 
Membership Certificate
Bi-montly Newsletter full of mazes, puzzles, games, news, and other goodies
Reading Log for earning STORY CATCHER AWARD
 

7 comments:

  1. This sounds like a lovely children's book. My son and I have been reading and reviewing a lot of children's books lately and may have to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joss! I have the book open next to me as I write this and I LOVE the look on each child's face and especially the teacher's!

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  2. Hi Donna, I was curious as to how you choose the book that you decide to review? Do people send you their books to be reviewed or do you choose them? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi and welcome to my blog! In answer to your question...both actually...;~)
      I'm also a book reviewer for Harper Collins so sometimes authors will send me their books for review, publishers send me books, and then I visit the libraries quite often to stack up on everything from picture books to young adult novels...

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
    2. Would it be too forward if I ask to send you my picture book, Snow Day? No Way!: Back To School Winter Woes? I would love to get a professional's honest review. If so, where should I send it? Thanks. -Cheri

      Delete
    3. Cheri,

      It never hurts to ask! I just checked out your book on Amazon and will send you a FB message shortly regarding my book reviews...

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  3. Great! Thank you. I look forward to hearing from you!

    ReplyDelete