Friday, December 19, 2014

PICTURE PROMPTS: Monica Rondino










Welcome to PICTURE PROMPTS! This is my way of 'paying it forward' for all the beautiful illustrations found in picture books all around the world. For the next year you will see my visit with guest illustrators, spotlighting their beautiful artwork and sharing their answers to a few questions I thought my readers might want to know about these illustrators. On the Friday when an illustrator hasn't stopped by for a visit and a hot cup of green tea, I will put up a random PICTURE PROMPT that has inspired me to write a little flash fiction to share with you!


If you are an illustrator, established or just starting out, and would like to participate in my PICTURE PROMPT series, just shoot me an email over to donasdays (at) gmail (dot) com and I will send you the information on how to join the fun!


Please welcome talented illustrator, Monica Rondino and check out her answers to my interview questions...




1. Why did you decide to become an illustrator?

I can say that I become an illustrator for the case. I always loved to draw and I did it from the time I was young but it was more a hobby. While I was looking for a job with languages I decided to follow a comics course and everything started from there. I finished my comics course and then I followed an animation course and now I’m an illustrator.

2. Where do you get your inspiration?

I get inspiration from everything: people, books, nature, television programmes, news and all that is around me.

3. Do you have a favorite illustration of yours? Why is it your favorite?

My preferred illustration of mine is an illo I did sometime ago. It’s about a little mouse on a balloon. I love it because it gives me a sense of freedom and at the same time the fear of a new adventure.



4. If you could invite five other illustrators (alive or deceased) to dinner, who would you invite and why?

Beatrix Potter, A.A. Milne, Chris Riddell, Diterlizzi, Alan Snow and so many others.

 
5. What are you currently working on?

At the moment I’m working on a new children’s book.

 
6. Do you work in different mediums? If so, which style is the most challenging?

I work mostly in digital but when I have the time I like watercolours. Probaly the most challenging is watercolours due the fact I don’t use it so often.


7. What advice would you give to someone thinking about trying to become an illustrator?

I’m not very good at giving advice. If you love what you do you don’t have to give up even if it can be difficult sometimes and even if  you can’t draw every moment (I mean everyone has to pay bills J ) . And remember there is always something to learn, so at the end the great thing is the path to become an illustrator.


8. Do you have another job in addition to being an illustrator?

Yes I have another job or it would it better to say other jobs. For the moment I can’t live with the illustrator work so I do every kind of jobs I manage to find.


Monica's Bio:



Monica is based in Rome, Italy and graduated with a language degree while also studying comics, illustration and animation. She and her partner Andrea work in 2D animation and flash animation for feature films, TV series and commercials. Their illustration work ranges from children's books to magazine and comic books. They work in both traditional and digital mediums.

Social links:







2 comments:

  1. LOVE that mouse in the balloon! Fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susanna! Monica gave me another illustration jpg as well as her profile picture but after working on trying to upload them for hours, my stupid computer apparently only wants ME to enjoy them...;~)

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete