Monday, February 12, 2018

Sharing Your Love With Others...






To all my current and future #DCSPeeps (DECIDE, COMMIT, SUCCEED), welcome to my new series in my continuing effort to inspire, amuse, and entertain you! Each Monday I will select a new word to analyze how it might apply to our writing lives and also give you a peek into my childhood growing up in the swamps of southern Louisiana, so kick back, put your feet up, and check out my story about TODAY'S WORD:

PASSION

This week will mark the age old tradition of sharing a bit of friendship...and maybe some secret love...with some special people in our lives. I can remember eagerly awaiting the arrival of Valentine's Day with all the PASSION of your typical third grader back in the day.

I would spend time drawing on and decorating my paper bag with all the usual hearts, cupids, and doves; hoping among the many homemade cards I would receive, I would get a coveted store bought card and maybe even a piece or two of candy if I was lucky. There was even a boy or two I had my heart set on, and I took special care to infuse a little puppy love PASSION into those special cards...

Writers fall in love with their own manuscripts all the time....creating those special worlds with such PASSION...and are sometimes surprised when agents or publishers don't share their PASSION over a particular story.

Sometimes it's hard to figure out if your main character will tug at the heart strings of the publishing gatekeepers. If the world you create is strong enough to stir the PASSIONS of an extremely subjective audience. But just like the kids in my third grade class, there are readers out there waiting to share a little readerly love...you just have to have the PASSION to keep at it...







ARE YOU THE MISSING PIECE? is now available through Amazon, Barnes & Noble Bookstore, and other fine retailers. It was a #1 international bestseller in Australia, Canada, the UK, and the US last fall.



 





International best selling author, Donna L Martin, has been writing since she was eight years old. She is a 4th Degree Black Belt Taekwondo Instructor by day and a 'ninja' writer of children’s picture books, chapter books and young adult novels by night. Donna is a BOOK NOOK REVIEWS host and book reviewer for Harper Collins, She is also a member of the Society of Children's Book Writers & Illustrators and Children's Book Insider. Donna is a lover of dark chocolate, time at the beach, and well written stories.




No comments:

Post a Comment