Monday, December 11, 2017

A Time For Celebrating...







To all my current and future #DCSPeeps (DECIDE, COMMIT, SUCCEED), welcome to my new series in my continuing effort to inspire, amuse, and entertain you! Each Monday I will select a new word to analyze how it might apply to our writing lives and also give you a peek into my childhood growing up in the swamps of southern Louisiana, so kick back, put your feet up, and check out my story about TODAY'S WORD:

CELEBRATING

Growing up, there were some things I could always count on during Christmas. Traditions carried over from year to year...like strings of popcorn and hollyberry draped around the live Christmas tree. Or Mother's wintery scenes stuck into a styrofoam base. But what I remember the most is how we CELEBRATED the holiday season with the music from a family heirloom.

The wind up church would play Silent Night as the doors slowly opened to reveal the illuminated Virgin Mary and baby Jesus waiting inside. Every night I would beg my mother permission to wind up the church. Carefully I would set the church down on the floor and lie down in front of it...nearly holding my breath in anticipation of catching a glimpse of what lay in wait behind those doors.

Even though the doors no longer move on their own, I still CELEBRATE each holiday season by listening to the beautiful, tinkling sounds of that Christmas carol and I'm transported back to my childhood where, for a moment in time, all is right with the world.

As a writer, I'm CELEBRATING my seventh year blogging. Back in Decemberr 2010, I decided to start sharing a part of myself with the rest of the world, and THE STORY CATCHER blog was born. I've met many wonderful people over the years that I'm proud to call my friends and have CELEBRATED many writerly victories with different authors from all around the world.

I've written more than one thousand posts and almost three quarters of a million visitors have stopped by to say hello and stay a spell. I'm proud of what I have accomplished, with the help and loving support from this writer community, and can't wait to CELEBRATE another year of sharing some words with all of you!






ARE YOU THE MISSING PIECE? is now available through Amazon, Barnes & Noble Bookstore, and other fine retailers. It was a #1 bestseller in Australia, Canada, the UK, and the US earlier this month.

 




International best selling author, Donna L Martin, has been writing since she was eight years old. She is a 4th Degree Black Belt Taekwondo Instructor by day and a 'ninja' writer of children’s picture books, chapter books and young adult novels by night. Donna is a BOOK NOOK REVIEWS host and book reviewer for Harper Collins, She is also a member of the Society of Children's Book Writers & Illustrators and Children's Book Insider. Donna is a lover of dark chocolate, time at the beach, and well written stories.

 

2 comments:

  1. I remember seeing and hearing that church every year. I also remember she had a red velvet covered boot filled with candy canes on the table near her dioramas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that boot fondly as well...;~)

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete