Monday, November 13, 2017

TURKEY TAILS AND WRITERLY WISHES...








To all my current and future #DCSPeeps (DECIDE, COMMIT, SUCCEED), welcome to my new series in my continuing effort to inspire, amuse, and entertain you! Each Monday I will select a new word to analyze how it might apply to our writing lives and also give you a peek into my childhood growing up in the swamps of southern Louisiana, so kick back, put your feet up, and check out my story about TODAY'S WORD:

WISHES 

My childhood stories revolve mainly around my mother who worked hard to take care of four growing children on a poor man's salary. My father was a chef on an offshore oil rig. His work took him away from home for weeks, sometimes months at a time, but he always managed to make it home for the holidays. 

Thanksgiving is just around the corner and with it come memories of two turkey traditions that happened every year while I was growing up. The first one involved the annual fight over who got the turkey tail. I know most people might think the end of the bird was best thrown out, but at our house my father and I would royally battle over  it and I usually won.

The second tradition involved the turkey's WISHbone. Sometimes I would pit my WISHbone pulling talents against my sister and sometimes my mother. I don't remember what I WISHED for every year, but it was more the excitement of the tug-a-war than the WISH itself.

When they're not working on their latest manuscripts, writers are adding to their own WISH lists...

1. A WISH to become a published author.
2. A WISH to find that perfect critique partner or group.
3. A WISH to receive an offer from an agent or publisher.
4. A WISH to win a prestigious award and make their mark on a writerly world.

While we're WISHING, I WISH for all my literary friends a holiday season full of writerly accomplishments and many a published manuscript...





ARE YOU THE MISSING PIECE? is now available through Amazon, Barnes & Noble Bookstore, and other fine retailers. It was a #1 bestseller in Australia, Canada, the UK, and the US earlier this month.

 




International best selling author, Donna L Martin, has been writing since she was eight years old. She is a 4th Degree Black Belt Taekwondo Instructor by day and a 'ninja' writer of children’s picture books, chapter books and young adult novels by night. Donna is a BOOK NOOK REVIEWS host and book reviewer for Harper Collins, She is also a member of the Society of Children's Book Writers & Illustrators and Children's Book Insider. Donna is a lover of dark chocolate, time at the beach, and well written stories.

2 comments:

  1. I save the turkey tails for you. I have a wishbone to pull with you this year. It didn't break like it usually does when I carve the turkey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tails, Janet. Now, if you could just get them to look like the ones above...lol...

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete