Monday, May 22, 2017

MURDER ON A SATURDAY AFTERNOON...









To all my current and future #DCSPeeps (DECIDE, COMMIT, SUCCEED), welcome to my new series in my continuing effort to inspire, amuse, and entertain you! Each Monday I will select a new word to analyze how it might apply to our writing lives and also give you a peek into my childhood growing up in the swamps of southern Louisiana, so kick back, put your feet up, and check out my story about TODAY'S WORD:

KILLING

When I was growing up in the swamps of Louisiana, there wasn't much to watch on TV during a heat drenched Saturday afternoon. Mostly just old John Wayne movies involving a lot of dust, some Indians, and quite a few gun fights. The KILLING wasn't real and the good guys always won.

Except for one Saturday afternoon when a KILLING happened right in front of me and for a moment in time one little girl changed how others saw the world.

Another cowboy was riding the range and another Indian was planning another attack when I hear a strange sound close to where I lay sprawled on the floor in front of our old TV.

My brother heard it too and before I could stop him, a lifeless cricket lay crushed at my feet.

I was inconsolable.

Fortunately for me, my mother loved nature as much as I do and when I decided to have a service for that little cricket, Mother found a matchbox casket for its final resting place and even made my siblings attend the funeral out in our front yard.

One little girl changed how others saw the value in the living.

*******

The life of a story isn't very different from that poor cricket. 

We breathe life into our dreams and put words on paper in the hope others will see the same value in them as we do. But sometimes as writers we have to KILL our own darlings and say a few words over a lifeless manuscript before we can move forward on that path to publication.

But even if we are the ones doing the KILLING, we remember the value of the dream...and continue to dream on...

 




Children's book author, Donna L Martin, has been writing since she was eight years old. She is a 4th Degree Black Belt in TaeKwonDo by day and a 'ninja' writer of children’s picture books, chapter books and young adult novels by night. Donna is a BOOK NOOK REVIEWS host providing the latest book reviews on all genres of children’s books. She is also a book reviewer for Harper Collins, and a member of the Society of Children's Book Writers & Illustrators. Donna is a lover of dark chocolate, good stories, and an adoptive mom to 20-pound guard kitty in Knoxville, Tennesse

 
 

4 comments:

  1. Brother was a nature lover. He LOVED to put tree frogs down my shirt. And shoot green "chinaberries" at me so they would smash and I'd have that stench on me all day. Ahhh...youth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet! I remember the "chinaberries". I didn't know about the frogs but I'm not surprised...

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  2. Thank you Donna, for your encouraging words. Dreams come and go. Every once in awhile one comes true that inspires you to reach for the stars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree with you more!

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete