Monday, March 6, 2017

THE WINDS OF CHANGE ARE BLOWING...



 
 (wikimedia commons)


To all my current and future #DCSPeeps (DECIDE, COMMIT, SUCCEED), welcome to my new series in my continuing effort to inspire, amuse, and entertain you! Each Monday I will select a new word to analyze how it might apply to our writing lives and also give you a peek into my childhood growing up in the swamps of southern Louisiana, so kick back, put your feet up, and check out my story about TODAY'S WORD:


CHANGE

 
One sentence can CHANGE your life. 

Sometimes the CHANGE can be great and sometimes it can destroy a chapter in your life.

Sometimes all it takes is a seed of doubt to be planted to CHANGE how a person sees themselves. 

When I was in my twenties, I joined Weight Watchers for the first time. I weighed less then than I do now and followed the program until I was within ten pounds of hitting my goal weight when one sentence from someone I thought loved me changed my life for the next thirty years.

“You’ll never reach your goal.”

He was right. 

I didn’t.

I gave up on myself.

But sometimes with age come wisdom and I’ve been lucky enough to have CHANGED the way I see things. Not only in how I view the person I see in the mirror, but how I work now toward my writing goals. I have discovered I am much smarter than I give myself credit for, and much stronger in spirit than I appear.

I DO deserve a healthier life!

I AM strong enough to make the best decisions regarding my writing career!

I CAN CHANGE not only how I let food dictate my self-worth, but also how I share my skills as a story teller!

Most authors have insecure egos to begin with. We sometimes question our ability to weave a story and capture the imagination of our target audience. We sometimes even question our very sanity in choosing this life. But we can CHANGE all that.

We can CHANGE how we view our writing skills by investing in writing courses, books, seminars, and classes that will challenge us to improve our own writing.

We can CHANGE our chances of becoming published authors by working with a critique partner or joining a critique group and being open to the advice they might give us to help tighten our stories.

We can CHANGE our ability to find the right agent or publisher for our work by doing the proper research before we query. Making sure our pitches and query letters are as sharp as they can be to entice that career partner to take a chance on us.

What is it in YOUR life that you would like to CHANGE?  Don't be afraid to take that risk. A chance taken and failed at, is a far better goal than living the rest of your life regretting a chance you let slip through your fingers...

Have an awesome day today, my DCSPeeps, because you deserve it!

 


 
Children's book author, Donna L Martin, has been writing since she was eight years old. She is a 4th Degree Black Belt in TaeKwonDo by day and a 'ninja' writer of children’s picture books, middle grade chapter books and young adult novels by night. Donna is a BOOK NOOK REVIEWS host providing the latest book reviews on all genres of children’s books. She is also a book reviewer for Harper Collins, and a member of the Society of Children's Book Writers & Illustrators. Donna is a lover of dark chocolate, good stories, and an adoptive mom to 20-pound guard kitty in Knoxville, Tennesse

No comments:

Post a Comment