Happy New Year everyone! 2015 is finally here and only 19 more days until the release of my debut picture book, THE STORY CATCHER, by Anaiah Press. Since I've been waiting almost 45 years for this momentous occasion, I've decided to not only celebrate my book's 'birthday', but to celebrate all month long!
To start things off, I'm going to list eight things you might not know about me. Here goes:
8. I am Cherokee/Scots-Irish on my mother's side and Cajun/Atakapa on my father's side. While I enjoy listening to most Cajun music, it is the bagpipes that will bring me to tears and I hope to visit Scotland one day.
7. I was sent to Waikiki Beach many years ago by a company I was working for at the time to provide a deposition in a legal matter. While I was there I ended up in the middle of a volcano and have the pictures to prove it!
6. I LOVE animals and have had a menagerie at different times in my life, including rabbits, quails, pigeons, dogs, cats, turtles, fish, guinea pigs, and hermit crabs.
5. I almost committed suicide by drowning when I was 14 but was saved by my guardian angel. My story was later bought by Chicken Soup For The Soul and is part of the Angels Among Us edition.
4. I ran away from home for a day when I was about 12 and ended up on the other side of town at a horse stable run by my next door neighbor at the time. He let me hang around and feed the horses, even giving me a ride on one before taking me back home. My mother never found out.
3. I started writing poetry when I was only 8 years old and later collaborated with my sister to create new work that ended up in two volumes of poetry by the time I was about 15.
2. If I could only take one food with me to a deserted island, it would be Kroger chicken hot from the deli. I used to think KFC made the best chicken but I was wrong.
1. I can actually talk like Yoda but don't do it often and only a handful of people have ever heard me.
As you can see, there are many layers to my personality and interests. I hope you learned something new about me today and be sure to check back tomorrow for the next post in my month long celebration!
You can preorder my book, THE STORY CATCHER, now through Amazon, www.amazon.com, or Barnes & Noble, www.barnesandnoble.com. It is available in both ebook and print copies. Here is the book blurb and book trailer.
Addie comes from a long line of readers, or "story catchers," as her family likes to call themselves. Every time Addie tries to catch a story on her own, though, the words play tricks on her. Addie tries everything she can think of to corral those wiggly letters, but it will take a little faith to become the next STORY CATCHER.