Friday, September 27, 2013

Flash Fiction Friday





A New York State Of Mind
by Donna L Martin


The old man cautiously looked at the people jamming the streets in front of him. How was he ever going to get through that crowd? Martha needed him. She had always needed him, ever since that day  the Bufford boys pushed her down in the mud and stole her newspaper money. Times were hard back then and the editor had a soft heart. Martha convinced him to let her sell leftover editions to the butcher on the corner. Fish couldn't read anyway so what did it matter to them if it was yesterday's news?

Pulling threadbare lapels higher on his neck, the old man shuffled slowly through the lines of people. He remembered the first time Martha held out that coat for him to try on. Their first Christmas together and her fingers were still covered in bandages from all the extra sewing she'd done for the money. You would have thought he was the Crown Prince and that second-hand trench coat was made of the finest leather the way her face split in two with a silly grin when he finally tore open the package. She kissed him there, right under the small sprig of mistletoe he had snuck from the corner florist, and told him how much she needed him. Funny thing is, Martha never realized just how much he needed her. His day couldn't begin until she smiled that pretty smile of hers. Old man McCraney's complaints about him being lazy meant nothing once Martha hugged him as he walked in the door after pulling a double shift down at the docks. Why, she even kept the bottle from getting the better of him when they got that war department letter back in the winter of '43. Lordy, what would he do without his Martha?

Mumbling his pardons along the way, the old man continued to make his way through the crowds until he finally made it to the corner and opened the door of the same florist he snatched mistletoe from all those years ago. Shuffling up to the counter, he waited for the young clerk to notice him before asking, "Would you have some white lilies, please? They're for my Martha"....



***Okay, it's your turn! Where is Martha? Why is the old man buying her flowers? Put your creative cap on and add a sentence or add a paragraph.  Continue my story or start one of your own.  Join the fun and see where this picture prompt takes us!***




14 comments:

  1. It's her birthday, you see. I want to leave them for her on her grave.

    Visited, and like this. Where is your LIKE button?

    Judith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judith and welcome! This is a Blogger site and if there is a way to put a "like" button on here, I haven't figured it out yet...;~)

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Then I have completed my goal...;~)

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  3. "Hi, Fred, yes of course. It's Martha's birthday isn't it?" The clerk went to the cooler and brought out a dozen red roses with one just off white. This one was Martha's favorite flower. Not white but almost white.
    Fred offered to pay for the flowers but the clerk said "No Fred this is my treat. Take them to her and give her my love." The clerk looked sadly at Fred. "How is she today?"
    "Oh she is doing okay, but the dementia has its hold on her now. I'm not sure she even knows I am there. But I know and that is the important thing. Sometimes she looks at me and smiles, but not often." Fred left the store and went to the care home Martha had been in for the last few months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gladys! What a sweet addition to this story...thanks for joining the fun...;~)

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  4. Hi Donna--popping over via Follow Fest to say that I'm a new follower and that you're a very gifted person! You're making me think about the who, what, when, wheres and whys of this story, and how the many ways in which it could be continued. Nice to meet you. I'll definitely be back for more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Randi and welcome to my blog! I thank you for your kind words. I certainly try to engage the minds and senses of my readers whenever possible with my stories...;~)

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  5. That's a great start for a prompt. I'll have to see what your Writerly Wednesday thing is all about, too. Thanks for visiting my blog and telling me about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry! There is so much writing and publishing information to be found in my WRITERLY WISDOM series. It's been running since January of this year and you find all the links to the posts on the sidebar under the WRITERLY WISDOM page...enjoy...;~)

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  6. Couldn't do better than Silver! Great prompt this week, well, every week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Yolanda! Thank you for your kind words...I try my best to entertain with my flash fiction prompts and it's nice to know someone likes them...;~)

    Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am in love with this photo! It's just perfect.

    Perhaps Martha is ill? Or it could be he's visiting her grave...the possibilities are endless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Samantha and welcome to my blog! Thank you for being my latest follower. I am very much a visual writer and this picture spoke volumes to me. You are right...the possibilities are endless...:~)

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete