Friday, March 29, 2013

Flash Fiction Friday




Dragon's Breath Island
By Donna L Martin




Layla tightened her vest before tucking her sword in the double wrapped belt and scabbard tied at her side.  All she needed were her boots and she would be ready. The villagers said she was crazy.  No one had ever gone to Dragon's Breath Island and returned.  Well, knights had returned but never alive.  And now Layla thought she would be able to fight the dragon all on her own.

Quickly saddling her horse, Layla took the path through the forest leading down to the water.  The loch was calm today, a good sign the gods favored her crossing.  Her father had taught her to command a boat when she was knee high to a grasshopper and the oars felt at home in her hands as she rowed straight for Dragon's Breath Island.

The morning sun was just leaving the horizon when Layla saw the coastline.  True to it's name, smoke curled around the cliffs at the water's edge and ended halfway up the mountainside looming above her.  Dragon's breath.  Layla almost expected to see flames shooting from the caves dotting the cliffs as she reached land and pulled her boat on shore.  Saying a quick prayer for the gods' mercy, Layla slowly began to climb the path leading to the largest cave on the island and home to the dragon...


***Okay, it's your turn!  What happens next?  Why did the villagers allow her to go to the island at all?  Will she encounter the dragon?  Will she make it out alive?  Put your creative cap on and add a sentence or add a paragraph. Continue my story or start one of your own.  Join the fun and see where this picture prompt takes us!***





13 comments:

  1. I see her encountering a handsome fisherman, he questions her reason for coming to the island. He offers his help. He leads her on a journey to find the dragon, which he turns out to be. Only her love can free him, except in dragon form, which only happens when the island and it's inhabitants are threatened from outsiders. The dragon is called forth by the elders. The problem, he does not know her as his love.

    It's late, but you did ask...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, Yolanda, I'm always curious to read your comments on my Flash Fiction. It almost always takes me on a path I hadn't thought of before...;~)

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  2. What fun! I see her slipping and hitting her head, then awakening to find the dragon staring at her.

    Happy Easter to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kittie and welcome to my blog! What a great idea...but I wonder if that dragon will see her as a potential meal or if it's just wondering what's a girl doing on its island? :~)

      Had you heard about my FREE AUTHORS PROMOTION event coming up in May? I'd love to be able to help promote your work! Just let me know if you would like more information...

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  3. My automatic thoughts when reading the title were towards my mother-in-law. I remember going to a pub with my ex and three big guys were beating up the mother-in-law. My wife asked if I was going to help but it looked like they were coping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, JP...for a moment I thought you were serious...;~)

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  4. Hmm... No pure story today. Just a summary.
    She meets an old knight on the island who blinded the dragon in the right eye. He helps her and gives her formal training. Layla then goes out to face the dragon... *dramatic music!*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erik! Glad to see you took the time to add to this story. Now I'm wondering if Layla will remember to stay on the dragon's RIGHT side? ;~)

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  5. Hi Jerry and welcome to my blog! Is this a good "oh my" or a bad "oh my"? Hopefully a good one? ;~)

    Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, my dear Donna, with my imagination being what it is, along with me still being too much of a degenerate by nature, I suppose it could go either way--depending upon the defining parameters of good and bad in this case. (LOL?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol, Jerry..my blog is open to ALMOST all opinions...it's what makes life interesting...

    Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a beautiful picture. I was looking for some inspiration this morning and it provided it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Randy and welcome to my blog! Thank you...I try...;~)

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete