Monday, October 1, 2012

The Show Don't Tell Bully



 
 
 
About two years ago when I decided to get serious about my writing, I was introduced to the SDT bully.  I would write a picture book story, think I had done a good job, and this guy would arrive to point out all the things I had done wrong.
 
"Why do you TELL us the story instead of SHOWING us?" he sneers.  "What, do you think your readers are so dumb they can't figure things out on their own so you gotta TELL them?"
 
I am surprised to hear the things my SDT bully is saying because after all, this is my "baby" he is talking about!  At first I just want to pick up my stories and run away but this bully's words will follow me.
 
"I bet you're just too chicken to fix your story!  I bet you don't even know how to SHOW and not TELL!"
 
Oh, that hurts.  And makes me angry.  But it also makes me realize behind this SDT bully's tough talk is actually some wisdom for me if I am brave enough to listen.  I look at my story again and I start to see what my bully sees.  I take a deep breath, pick up my red pen, and attack my "baby" with determination.  I cut away the needless phrases and add action verbs.  I mix in dialog to help carry the story and infuse my paragraphs with carefully selected sentences to captivate my readers so they will be drawn into my magical world.  Sweat drips from the page as I pour my heart into my revisions...until finally I step away from my work and realize this SDT bully isn't a bully after all.  He is just a "tough-love" friend who has my best interests at heart.  Someone who challenges me to strip away the rose-colored glasses I am wearing and see my stories for what they really are...and even better...for what they will become...
 
 



8 comments:

  1. SDT - easier said than done. It's a continuing battle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Genevieve! I agree...although I must admit it's getting much easier as time goes by. I still do a ton of research and read lots of articles and blog posts about how to get it right...and then I try to apply it to my own work...sometimes I'm successful and sometimes I'm not, but I keep trying and that's the most important thing to do I think...;~)

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  2. I can relate with "I bet you are just too chicken to fix your story." Sometimes I realize I'm just being lazy when I put off major revisions, which is silly because it usually makes the story better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rena! I have come to quickly realize that most writers I meet are extremely busy people...a full time job, kids, school, family life, chores, other obligations...so they squeeze in time for their writing and don't always get a chance to fully concentrate on their revisions. That's part of my problem...finding the time to WRITE let alone REVISE but I completely agree that once I do find the time to revise, the story is usally ten times better! Now if I can just figure out a way to bypass the first draft writing and just start with the revised version I'd be a happy camper...;~)

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  3. LOL! Good point and good post!
    This weekend, I came to the realization that I too, have trouble taking suggestions when they are tactlessly thrown my way.
    Maybe it's human nature to be this way...
    But, in any case sometimes those tough love friends are the ones who help us grow.

    Thanks for an excellent post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paula! My best friend is one of those tough love people and I appreciate that quality in him so much! I told him twelve years ago when we first became friends that I always wanted the absolute truth from him and he has always done that! And I have grown soooo much as a person, as a martial artist, heck even as a writer because of him...I owe him a lot...;~)

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  4. Good job on not running away from revising! Someone just did the same thing for me, and I was sad/slightly annoyed to think my book needed any major revisions, but a little time passed and I realized she was right. I'm excited now cause I'm getting some really cool new ideas that I think will make my book better. Everyone needs a friend/critique partner who is willing to rip off the rose colored glasses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tamara! Oh please don't get me wrong...I LOVE critiques of my work! It gives me a chance to see my stories through other's eyes and since I am newer to the writing industry, I value the wisdom and comments of those who have come before me very much! It's just that I am a perfectionist and I get frustrated with myself sometimes for not catching the necessary changes before someone else points them out to me. I read those SDT comments and tell myself, "now why didn't I think of that?" Lol...

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete