Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Focus On The Fight, Not The Fright





A lovely TV anchor announced recently that she was in for the fight of her life.  She beat cancer a few years ago but was now diagnosed with another form of the disease.  When I watched her interview with her co-anchors, I was impressed with her strength of spirit.  I also liked a phrase she used..."Focus on the fight, not the fright".  It was like someone had dropped a brick on my head...




What a perfect mantra for writers.  Focus on the fight.  Be the best writer you can be.  Invest your time in  writer's conferences, workshops, critique groups,  and online writing groups...all the many avenues to help strengthen your skills as a writer.  Write every day and let your writer's voice infuse your words.  Do your research and create compelling query letters to attract agents and publishers to your work.  Polish your manuscripts until they shine with the conviction that you are on the right path to publication.




Don't let the fright which comes with the writing life get you down.  Insecurities, frustrations and moments of writer's block might lurk in the corners of your mind, but focus on the fight and be secure in the knowledge that you are exactly where you need to be.  One day you too will see your name in print...as sure as the sun will come up in the morning...






22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I thought so too, Beth...;0)

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  2. Perfect choice of words...and that's what this writing is all about, isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mona! My ears really perked up when I heard her say that...it really struck a cord with me...

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  3. Lots to learn from Robin Roberts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Genevieve! I agree...she is one classy lady...

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this. We all need to hear things like this sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nick! We all can get wrapped up in our own little corner of the writing world and forget our focus sometimes. I'm glad you enjoyed today's post...

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  5. I sometimes think I don't want it bad enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JP, WE want it for you. AND I want your stories for ME. You don't need to be scared because you already write beautifully. You don't have far to go to reach the top. Some of us think you are already there.

      Delete
    2. Hi JP! While I agree with Janet, I would also remind you that there is nothing wrong with writing for the pure joy of it. Not every writer is in this to become published and not every published writer SHOULD have been...;0)

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  6. Donna, where did you get that second picture? It's like I'm looking in the mirror.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, Janet...since when did you take up wrestling? Perhaps you meant the THIRD picture? ;0)

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
    2. Maybe I DID mean the wrestlers,you don't know everything about me! Actually, I meant the third picture.

      Delete
  7. Hi Donna! "Focus on the fight, not the fright" I like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susanne! I think I will have to use that as my new chant when I wake up every morning...;0)

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  8. Robyn is an inspiring person. I too loved those words she used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane. She seems to be such a classy lady...I'm praying that she will come through this with flying colors...

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  9. I like to write everyday, but sometimes my imaginary friends quit talking to me. It can be frustrating indeed.

    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Joyce, and welcome to my blog! I can remember as far back as first grade having "imaginary" friends that I played with during recess...I always had the voices in my head...stories wanting to come to life but I stopped writing for over 20 years...now I"m back and loving every minute of it! I don't want the "fright" to hold me back...;0)

    Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Donna .. I actually thought focus on the light - then I read fight not fright .. all so true .. love the take on this .. as it's so appropriate for many things in our life .. cheers and here's to your success .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilary and thanks for your kind words. I am quite enjoying the journey this time around and especially the positive energy and support from new friends like YOU which make it easier to focus on the fight and NOT the fright...;0)

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete