Saturday, March 10, 2012

Shall We Dance?


Everyone has to start somewhere.  Yul Brynner in The King and I, fascinated me when I first saw it.  He was so majestic but uncultured.  Deborah Kerr was so regal yet so naive.  Together they managed to change a nation.  Like those two characters, I think the relationship between a writer and their story is all about the dance.


Some writers grab their stories and do the jitterbug.  Fingers flying across the keyboard, words are clashing together in a mad dash to get to the ending.  The problem with this type of dance is that it's easy to fall out of step with your partner and end up on the floor.


Some writers do the Mr. Roboto kind of dance where every word is so precise that all the creativity has been sucked out of the story.  Technically, everything looks fine, but in the reader's world there is no life inside the words and therefore no interest in actually reading them.

But then there are the writers who have that happy marriage between words and thoughts.  Blending, dipping, swaying together until visions and story become one in a beautiful display of art and creation.  You know what I mean.  You've been there.  Now, all you have to do is answer the question...

Shall we dance?





16 comments:

  1. I saw that movie once and hated the ending, so I'll never watch the whole movie again. But, yes, I shall DANCE!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have preferred a happier ending too, Janet, but Hollywood never asked me what I thought about it! But I still love the movie and I think Yul Brynner did a fabulous job with that character!

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  2. Great blog. Thanks for sharing and love the King and I.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your analogy. While reading this I couldn't help but relate it to some of my "Mr. Roboto" pieces. Thanks for reminding us that a story should have that "happy marriage"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer, I try...;0)

      I think it is a cautious balance between correct writing and dull writing...I pray I never fall into the second category...lol...

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Hahaha...Stephen I literally busted out laughing when I read your comment! At least I seem to be on a roll with my blog as far as you are concerned...;0)

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  5. Sometimes my writing is a waltz. Sometimes it looks like Elaine on Seinfeld.

    The dance scene of The King and I was so, um, erotic for me. You can have your 'neekid' scenes, throat clearing kisses but give me the subtle nuances of relationships like Anna and the King and Yowza! I am hooked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to laugh at your comment too, Huntress as I could visualize Elaine when I read it!

      I agree...Yul Brynner had a very attractive personality and the dance was very sensual and descriptive of their relationship.

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  6. I agree, Huntress. And I loved The King and I, especially the ending, which made me cry. Great post. Though I have two left feet when it comes to dancing, hopefully I'll be more graceful with my words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I believe anyone can be graceful with their words if they simply take the time to let them come to the writer instead of the writer trying to force them...do you know what I mean?

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  7. Agree with Huntress to. I love the King and I and I love to dance, yep lets dance! I always hope my words appear somewhat graceful on a page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, writing this post makes me want to go out and find a copy of that movie and watch it with a box of Kleenex cuz I KNOW I will cry at the end!

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  8. This was a fun and helpful post for a beginner like me. I say yes, I'd love to dance! Cause I'm sorta like the hopeful girl at the dance holding her empty dance card...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Pam and thanks for stopping by! I just visited your blog...nice by the way...and you now have another follower...;0)

      Have a great weekend and come back any time!

      Delete