Sunday, February 5, 2012

Why Writers Won't Write


I thought I would start off the day with a tongue twister title and a visual imagine of what goes on in the minds of some writers.  There are many reasons why writers won't write.  So many dragons to slay each day as we travel that path to publication.

Do you ever find yourself struggling to get the words out of your head and onto paper or computer screen?  Do you wake up with the idea for your next great novel, only to lose it as you stumble out of bed?  Maybe you are like me where you sometimes come up with a great beginning and a great ending to a story but it's the middle that hides from you?


Sometimes just the thought of staring at that blank piece of paper makes me reluctant to start.  It becomes a wall that seems impossible to get around.  So I do the first thing that comes to my mind.  I simply write the words, "I don't know what to write", on that pesky white sheet and suddenly I have destroyed one dragon standing between me and a productive day.


Sometimes the opposite is true.  Sometimes I have so much crammed up in this head of mine that I can't push any words onto paper.  While writer's block can be frustrating. sometimes all I need to do is slow down and take a breath.  Grab a hot cup of tea.  Listen to some music.  Read what I wrote before I skidded to a halt and give myself permission to take a moment for myself.  There's another dragon beaten.  Writing isn't a race, even when I have deadlines, and sometimes my greatest work comes from simple reflection.


There will always be distractions waiting to trap me.  People, places, or things fighting for my attention.  But when I give away my writing time, I devalue myself as a writer.  I tell others that my place in this world isn't as important as everyone else.  So I make sure I carve out a little time each day just for me. Those who love and support me know to leave me alone with my words.  Wow, another dragon slain!


Sometimes it's just the internal perception of who writers think they should be that actually prevents them from writing.  The competition today for writers is fierce and the expectations are more demanding than ever.  If I sit around wondering if I will ever achieve the success of authors like Stephen King or J K Rowling then I can quite possibly scare myself into "writer's immobility".   


Whenever I struggle with my writing, I need to remind myself that I am one of a kind and I only need to write the stories that is in my own heart to tell...not to try and mimic the stories of others who have gone before me.  That way I can watch the dragons pile up and I see only a clear path before me...




10 comments:

  1. "Be yourself" -- it's so easy to fall into the trap of thinking "I can never be as good as [name of author hero]" and let that defeat you. Each of us has something valuable to contribute in some way, but that way won't be someone else's way. Good to be reminded of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true, Beth! I could never write some genres like humor or horror...I know my strengths and stay focussed on them. Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  2. Good inspiration. I used to teach the kids in my class to write, "I don't know what to write," to help them get started. It came in handy for the kids that froze on the day of the standardized test.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It never fails to jog me out of a silent slump...lol...

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  3. I love the line on your chalkboard: Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephen, for stopping by. I found that picture online and I thought it was a wonderful addition to today's post! I hope you had a relaxing weekend...come back any time!

      Delete
  4. For me the dragon is discouragement - feeling like you can't get good enough idea, or you can't write it well enough and that nothing you've written in a while has been strong enough to sell. If you've got a way around that dragon, I'm listening! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Susanna, for stopping by! I can't begin to presume to understand the pressure that comes with being a published author such as yourself, but I think our issues are probably the same. Writers work in such a solitary "bubble" that it is easy to get discouraged. Not only are we trying to stay energized and upbeat as our own cheerleaders, we are also the gate keepers who guard against our own worst enemy...ourselves! No wonder we doubt our own ability sometimes. That's why I write my blog as I do...as a reminder for all writers, new and experienced, to just take a breath...or in your case, look around you. You have published words which indicate you certainly have the talent...you probably have acceptance letters speaking of your ability to create "magic"...and you have a wonderful writing community of friends and "family" to support and encourage you when you doubt yourself. Draw on those strengths when you falter and don't let ANYONE tell you that you can't do this! Remember, I've read your work and in my opinion you are FABULOUS!!

    Take care, Lady, and come back any time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh my! This post has my name slapped right across it. Donna you certainly know how to get to the core of a writers being! Remembering to be my self and that this is not a race. I am aloud to take my time.... I hope you don't mind, I just have to print this out.
    This is a wonderful post... thankyou Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any time I can be of service...;0)

    I just write what I feel and I'm pretty sure other writers have felt the same at some time in their writing life.

    Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

    ReplyDelete