Thursday, February 23, 2012

Is It A Train Or Train Wreck?


I sometimes think beginning a new story for me is like going on a trip.  Some trips are planned in great detail, while others are spur of the moment.  Some writers spend hours if not days creating a finely drawn out plan on exactly what they are going to write and others, like myself, will probably start out with a general idea and maybe a very rough outline of what is going to happen.  Either way, there is a growing level of excitement on wanting to step off on that grand new adventure.


Destiny's train is coming and it's coming for you.  Leaving any doubts behind, you are ready to jump on board and see where the open road will take you.  First class passengers travel with all the skills and resources they need to produce the best work possible.  Second class passengers probably have enough to get by, but it can be rough going at times.  Steerage simply hang on with a hope and a prayer that maybe they will lucky enough to make things work.


At first, the going is smooth with clear skies ahead and a beautiful view.  Words flow from your fingertips like raindrops off a tin roof.  You just know a band will be waiting for you when your train pulls into publication station.  But what if you haven't taken the time to prepare for this journey properly?  What will you do if there are fallen trees or other obstacles in your path?  



What if your story becomes a runaway train and you are holding on for dear life?  What will you do then?    I have a feeling that beginner writers who try to rush and push their way to early publication run the risk of having that runaway train taking control of their work.  Without the proper training, foundation or skill level, new writers can end up becoming another sad statistic on that path to publication.  


Their stories lack the strength or creativeness to stay on track and end up a train wreck.  Weak characters, poor grammar, and other writing mistakes eat away at the story until all that is left is carnage and the twisted framework of what could have been.  And who will be around to salvage the pieces?

I choose to plot my journey with slow, careful steps.  I will lay the groundwork of a strong foundation and as my blog name suggests, I will stay ON THE WRITE TRACK until I am certain that I am creating the best literary work that I can.  And if the day ever comes that I think my train is getting away from me?  I will simply choose another way to travel...





6 comments:

  1. I like the idea of travel as a metaphor for writing. The little time I've spent on trains was enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Stephen! The only train I remember riding on is the old time coal engine train at Dollywood in Pigeon Forge, Tn. The smoke stinks but the ride is enjoyable as you ride through the Great Smokey Mountains surrounding the park.

    Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great metaphor! I love how you make it a journey.

    I'm saying HI from the campaign and hoping you'll read my story, the challenge. Mine is number 181. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Clarike, and welcome! Interesting story...I like it. Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  4. Always enjoy reading your post Donna. Thanks for sharing!

    Happy Writing:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cheryl, for your kind words! I'm glad you have stopped by and come back any time!

      Delete