Sunday, February 19, 2012

The "Good" Ol' Days?


There were times when I was growing up that my family didn't have the "luxuries" that other families had.  I can remember my mother cleaning our clothes on a washboard when we didn't have a washer or dryer.   I remember taking my turn at the crank as the rollers squeezed out the soap and dumping them into the next tub to rinse before rolling them through again.
Since I am on a "vacation" from city water for the next few days I have become creative in being able to stay in my home to write.  I now have 25 gallons of bottled water sitting in my kitchen, just waiting to be used for cooking, cleaning and any other daily function where water is needed.  I have discovered that my large stock pot can boil enough water at one time to allow me to wash my hair and still leave enough hot water for a cup of tea.  If I can overcome dirty hair then surely I can create a good ending to my latest story?



People have always told me that I have more patience than anyone else they've met.  Now I am finding out just how much patience I actually have.  Any other day of the week it would take me about five minutes to actually wash my hair.  Today it takes me over an hour when you count the water boiling, the bucket brigade, and how many times my twenty ounce cup had to dip and pour to get all the soap out.  If I can do this, then surely I can find a word to rhyme with oyster so I can finish my poem?


I'm no saint.  I confess I was angry and upset to find out about my latest problems with my house.  But it's just not in my nature to let things get me down for long.  I think that is true of most writers.  No matter the obstacles we find on that path to publication, we always manage to keep going.  We persevere.  Elusive endings, rejection letters, poor reviews do not stop us from what we were born to do.  We write and we hold fast to the belief that our words matter.  So I say bring on tomorrow because I've got a bucket and I'm ready for you!

But if I want to get the rest of me clean, I just might have to check on some friends...




10 comments:

  1. Your positive attitude is most admirable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephen, for your kind words. But when you think about it, what choice do I have? I could sit around, blubbering over spilled water, or I can get on with my life. I would rather try to be productive and enjoy my weekend than to curse the "gods" that are playing with me right now...;0)

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  2. Hope you get your water back soon! Meanwhile, back in the pioneer days, people went a week or more at a time without bathing or shampooing, so really you're like a pioneer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I'm starting to feel, Susanna, but I think I will have to draw the line at chopping any wood! ;0)

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  3. I so love that quote about courage. Thank you.

    Are you a swimmer? Go to the pool, have a swim, then luxuriate in the shower.

    As for finding a rhyme for oyster -- you really like to challenge yourself, don't you??? If there was a word such as oysterous, it could rhyme with boisterous... but there isn't, so it can't. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol, Beth, thanks for making me laugh! Unfortunately, no, I'm not a swimmer...rather nasty experience when I was in my teens and almost drowned...LOVE the ocean but fear the water part...go figure...I'm a "Cancer Crab" and I'm landlocked...;0)

    Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! still without water...huh! If you want a shower your'r welcome at our place..
    Oyster...mmm... porter, quarter, roaster, holster, monster, caster....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, Diane...thanks for trying to help solve my "oyster" problem! Yeah, still without water until at least Tues...and I'm touched that I would be welcome at your place. Too bad I'd have to swim the ocean to get there! ;0)

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete
  6. Cloister rhymes with oyster!

    Sorry about all the challenges you're having with your house, but it sounds like you are making the best of it, and that it will be good fodder for your writing down the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh, Julie, never thought of THAT one...thanks!

      I keep thinking there has GOT to be a good story to come out of this!

      Thanks for stopping by and come back any time!

      Delete