Friday, December 16, 2011

What A Difference A Day Makes!



A martial arts friend of mine posted this picture on my Facebook today.  Thanks, Ila, for today's blog post idea.

If you would have said on October 31st that I would soon be joining the amazing world of PiBoIdMo in November, or that I would try my hand at beginning a novel for NaNoWriMo, or even that I would soon become friends with some of the most accomplished children's book authors out there, I would have thought you had lost your mind!

What a difference a day makes.

November 1st I challenged myself to acknowledge that voice inside of me trying to shout out..."I'M A WRITER"!  I took that leap of faith and told the people closest to me that I am finally going to pursue becoming a children's book author.  But where to start?

When you are new to the writing world, things can soon become overwhelming if you allow it.  New blogs to follow, new websites to view, new articles to read, new books to buy...all in the hopes that you can learn how to perfect your writing quickly enough to impress those agents and editors that now fill your dreams of future success.

Words may flow easily onto paper or screen, but you don't know enough about what you are doing yet to be able to polish it into a presentable manuscript.

What a difference a day makes.

You stumble...you fall...you get back up, dust yourself off and return to the task of becoming stronger.  Stronger in spirit, stronger in self belief, stronger in your writing skill until one day that idea you have been working on takes on a life of it own.  A sparkle becomes a glow from all that polishing you have done.  So you take another leap of faith and send that manuscript out into the world of agents and editors.  And you collect an armful of rejection letters.  If you are really lucky, some of them will have words of encouragement that you hold on to like a winning lottery ticket and return to your writing desk to polish some more.

What a difference a day makes.

One day, you know in your heart, that your story is the best you can create.  You have taken the wisdom of those who have traveled this path before you and let them guide you until your story is strong enough to capture someone's eye.  You even do the "happy dance" when that contract offer arrives because you know that the lessons have been learned and you can stand up a little taller to say "I'M A WRITER"!

Like my little friend says, I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday.  And I know in my heart that if I keep going in the right direction, I will get to that winner's circle eventually.  Then family, friends, and colleagues can all do the "happy dance" with me!




19 comments:

  1. Amen, Donna...just keep on truckin'. You are certainly headed in the "write" direction!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a difference a day makes. I like that! I think it really is one step at a time, and perseverance is so very important in the children's writing world. It's a big step announcing to friends and family that you are pursuing this path, but I've found that it's also a good motivator because now they'll always be asking how it's going :) Love the photo at the top of your post, too. I can see how it was inspiring to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an inspiring post, and so very true. One step at a time, stumbling occasionally (as ducklings do), struggling to hop up on the curb (it looked so easy when Mama Duck did it!), and then continuing on the journey, one duckling-step at a time.

    I am, quite frankly, amazed to learn that it was just November 1st when you challenged yourself to tell the world you are a writer -- this has obviously been incubating within you for quite a while, before the duckling came out of the shell. You are doing well on your journey, and I'm so grateful that our paths have come together and we can flap our stubby little wings together as we continue toward true flight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post Donna! And so true. I often feel that as long as I know I'm moving in the right direction, I'm okay. I can have patience because I know I'll get there. Thanks for sharing your wisdom AND the adorable duckling. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Kerry...I have always possessed crazy optimism about life in general..and I know I will draw on that strength as well as my martial arts perseverance to succeed in this new chapter of my life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Beth, as always for your kind words! I have written things since I was ten, but in my 20's I allowed certain life events to quiet my writing for more than 20 years...I decided to pick up my writing again earlier this year when I kept having dreams of fully published picture books and MG novels. I told my sister about it and we both agreed that we felt God was nudging me to go back to my writing...so I did. Then I stumbled upon PiBoIdMo and NaNoWritMo which reaffirmed to me that I was doing the right thing. If I calm my spirit, my writing takes over and there is an overwhelming eagerness to put my thoughts down...on paper, on computer, written in the dirt with a stick if necessary...lol...just to empty my head before it begins to fill up again!

    And I too, feel blessed to have met many special people, like yourself, that stumbles along this journey with me...I never feel alone...;0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank YOU, Julie, for following my blog! As far as "wisdom" goes...not sure if I would call it that...maybe personal observations as I stumble along the way to learning what it takes to be a better writer. I KNOW I have the ability to write...now I am testing myself on whether I have what it takes to be a GREAT writer. Only time will tell, but I certainly feel like I'm on the right path...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how I wish there was a "like" button for comments! Your response to my comment, Donna, was so moving, and so affirming that yes, you are on the right path. Thank you for sharing so deeply!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember when I started out. It was scary and I was afraid to tell people I was a writer. So many writers helped me along the way and now that I'm published and have been in the industry for years, I'm doing my part to help others. Pay it forward. You'll pay it forward too one day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Donna, I'm a new follower via the Deja Vu blogfest. I have had many stumble and fall moments, not to mention rejection letters, but I press onward, as well, still searching for that one agent who will love my story. I love being a writer, aspiring or otherwise. Good luck on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's nice to meet you Donna! I love this post--and that picture! I struggled for a long time to be able to say I'm a writer, and ... sometimes I still struggle with it, just less than the time before. Just like that little duckling in the pic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOOK!! A DUCK!! I'm glad you finally have shared your writing with other people besides me.You make me proud.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kelly, it's people like you that lift people like me up...just the fact that you are taking time to read my post gives me hope that I will accomplish my goal one day! I believe in paying it forward as well...encouraging others to not give up on their writing is one small way of thanking the people that have already helped ME...just by being themselves and giving back to the writing industry...so beginner writers (myself included) can benefit from their wisdom...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Nancy, for stopping by! I am encouraged when I read other writer's challenges that were overcome in their quest for publication...not that I would ever wish those hardships on them...but I don't feel so alone and they may even be able to give insight on how to deal with some things...I wish you much future success! Come back and visit again some time...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, Sarah, nice to meet you! I'm glad you enjoyed today's post. You might like some of the other's I have written as well. Come back anytime!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awww shucks, Janet, I'm blushing...*shoe scuffing the ground*...;0)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a very beautiful and moving post. Thankyou for sharing Donna. We are not alone, stumbling and forever picking ourselves up, we will with perseverance and patience, will get there. Just like your little duckling. We are all WRITERS. I loved this Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks, Diane...I'm glad you liked it! Every time I write a post, I wonder if it will reach out to someone...if someone will leave a comment expressing their thoughts on what they have read. I write to encourage others as well as reminding myself I can do this! To each of our future successes!

    ReplyDelete